Halloween is hands down my most favorite holiday. I love spooky, scary and macabre. September is nothing more than Halloween Eve for me. To kick start the season I decided to paint a trick-or-treat bag…..for mom.
I picked up an inexpensive tote bag from AC Moore to use as my “canvas.” I started with a search through Cricut’s Access database and found a witch’s hat and a card that had witch’s feet.
Most of my creations are made using a stencil that I pieced together and aren’t always a perfect fit, but I always make it work. Again, if you don’t have access to a Cricut paper cutter, you can search for a silhouette image on google and cut it out to work as a stencil.
I gathered my supplies; fabric paint, spray adhesive, paint brushes, fabric glue and glitter.
I placed my stencil on the bag using spray adhesive; although during this project i ran out of spray and had to use a glue stick. Glue sticks may leave a residue, but usually it wipes off with a baby wipe or a lightly damp paper towel.
The edges of my stencil kept lifting at the sides so I used a little tape to secure it in place.
Using a lightly loaded paint brush, brushed from the outside edge of the stencil in. This helps keep the paint from seeping. Although, it will happen, and you’ll just have to touch it up later.
Once the hat was painted black, I placed another stencil on top to help paint the stripes. First I painted the stripes white to help the top coat cover. I used orange and green, but purple and green would have been fun too.
After the paint had dried, I painted fabric glue on to the areas I wanted a little glitter.
I love glitter!!
Once everything was dried, I lifted the stencil and Ta-Da!!! The bag was complete…and super cute!! But then, the inevitable happened…
After being careful the entire time not to get paint on the back side of the bag…I did it. I touched the back of the bag with my big, fat, orange and green thumb. Paint spreads. It doesn’t take much. So I rush to try and dab up my mistake only to spill all the glitter on me…now my jeans are fabulous 🙂
I ended up in the kitchen with a baby wipe..which only smeared it. Then water and dish soap, which spread it out. The spot was gone, but I was left with a dark smudged spot! I just couldn’t get it out…so I fixed it the messy momming way!! I painted over it. And now it’s a spooky compliment on the back.